Thursday, November 7, 2013

How to deal with rude people with your childs food allergies

Well I had thought that I would never have to write this post , but it came true this weekend. Most of my Family and friends know that I am a big advocate of not only rights for children with food allergies, but I also want to bring awareness of the condition.. I am sad to say that some people cant keep their mouths shut... It took place a few months ago and I have been wanting so bad to write about it, but like most stuff that makes me mad... I have to take a few weeks to relax!!

We used go to the corner store to get my daily fix of caffeine( my Starbucks double shot or a cup of soda) . At the time I was standing in Line and Kason is fiddling in a box of reduced price food and candy. He picks up a bag of peanuts and cashews , in which I yank out of his hand and put back into the box and order him to come with me to wash his hands ( as I don't trust anything Nut related). I had him wash his hands and went back into line.. Of course he goes back to the same box and finds a candy bar that contains peanuts and asks for it..

Me: Can you eat stuff with nuts in it?

Kason: No mommy....

Me: What would peanuts and Nuts do to you?

Kason: Make me sick and I will need my Epi Pen

Me : you need to put it down now please...

Kason: ok mommy, can I have another candy?

Me: not right now....

Behind me I hear a scoff

Lady: Jeeze let the poor child have a candy bar!!

Me : Excuse me?

Lady: for Christ sakes let the kid have a candy bar..

Me: well you know what, he has a peanut allergy and this would kill him..

Lady: well if it is that bad, maybe you need to leave him at home..

By this point I am about ready to blow a fuse... I think of a smart remark and let her have it

Me: have you ever seen bubble boy?

Lady: yes....

Me: well then if you can find a way to cure my son or make a model of something that can shield him from peanuts and allergens do it, until then leave your opinion to yourself!

Lady: whatever!!

I walked home scoffing on how rude and wrong it was to be messed with because of his allergies.. But the more I thought of it , the more it made sense.. People really do not get it!! They dont understand Life and death because of foods... Sure a bee sting can kill, but food really? So many people think that food allergies are Just a overreaction of an overprotective parent, or a gastro bug like feeling you get when you eat week old meat ( I've done it) .. But it is more than that !! It's my son being injected with epinephrine . It's me sitting 3 hours in a ER room. Or it's me watching my sweet boy on life support or having to plan a funeral.. It's me having to put a small body in a casket and saying goodbye to the little boy that I have sacrificed my time , blood and life for ... I just wish people would see that.. We have lost over 5 children to food allergies and not one of the major news stations aired it!! Not one!!! 

I could have told the woman off and called her a heartless nobody, I could have educated her a little more.. I didn't do anything.. I was shocked.. It just comes to show how rude people are. My son however has taught me to let go of the small things and smile and live life at its fullest.. I hope one day he will find a kind way of reminding people.. I hope he will grow up with a soft heart and learn to help others.. Until then I will be his mama bear and protect him to the best of my ability..


No comments:

Post a Comment