Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Learning to say goodbye.....

I don't normally write like this, but this is something tugging on my heart strings. As you all already know I and my son have food allergies. A few weeks ago I was in a odd situation where I had to think of it. No one wants to talk about it, it is almost taboo because we like to think with modern technology that one day  we will be immune to this. Unfortunately we are not.. I am talking about saying goodbye! I have witnessed death and moving on. I have read news stories where children and even some adults have been lost to a tragic mistake. I have said my condolences , even though I know that will never cure the heart of a grieving parent. It is like a band-aid over a gaping wound.. Its going to take years to recover and their will always be a scar. I have often gone back to the pictures and videos of my son and smiled, but then a pit settles in my mind. I shed a quite tear knowing one day , one mistake could take my sweet blonde hair and blue eye little boy.



 Most mothers think of what college will be like and what they are going to be. My worry is will there be a cure and what can I do to protect my son from the world. He is superman in a world full of kryptonight. His body treats food like a poison and It scares me. I have seen anaphylaxis first hand. I have seen a face go grey because of his body reacting.. I have done CPR.. No one will ever know how it feels unless they themselves have been through it..


After Peanut reaction 

another reaction
after being touched with peanut butter ( hives went down by the time we where at the hospital)
our days and nights after a reaction

My son and I are never apart really. He refuses to leave my side. I know a few times he went off without me with my parents or his dad. Every time we part we never say goodbye, we say see your later!! I refuse to say goodbye until it really is. I often daydream of how it will be without food allergies and hope, maybe one day there will be a cure.. Until then fight on super man, your mom ( otherwise know as wonder woman) will be there with you . I pray i will never have to learn to say goodbye.




I wrote this article in remembrance of the many lives lost to Anaphylaxis.. To their wonderful parents and families. God bless you and know that I am always thinking of you. 






No comments:

Post a Comment